The Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations is a socio-political organization specialized in people-to-people diplomacy in the field of peace, solidarity, friendship and people's cooperation, a member of the Vietnamese Fatherland Front, playing the central role in people-to-people diplomacy and foreign non-governmental organization affairs; an organization engaged in external politics and a component part of Vietnam's specialized foreign affairs force.
Since its establishment, under the leadership of the Communist Party of Vietnam and President Ho Chi Minh, together with the forces working in people-to-people diplomacy, the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations and member organizations have made great contributions to mobilizing approval, assistance, solidarity and cooperation from people over the world with the cause of fighting for national independence and building and defending the Nation of Vietnamese people.
In the current process of renovation, industrialization, modernization and international integration, the Union of Friendship Organizations of Vietnam and its member organizations have gone through constant reinforcenment and development, upheld its central role in people-to-people diplomacy, contributed to tightening and expanding friendly relations with people of other countries, mobilized international support, solidarity and resources for socio-economic development, protected national interests, promoted Vietnam’s international image and profile, firmly defended the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and contributed to the global people's movement for peace, national independence, sustainable development, justice, democracy and social progress.
November 17, 1950 is the Traditional Day of the Union of Vietnam Friendship Organizations.
1. Broadcasting the guiding principles and objectives of the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations;
2. Establishing peace, solidarity, friendship and cooperation ties with corresponding organizations, non-governmental organizations and foreign individuals;
3. Expanding, diversifying and multilateralizing partnerships in order to consolidate and enhance the friendly and cooperative relations between the Vietnamese people and people of other countries, utilizing the sympathy, support, solidarity and cooperation of the people over the world to advance the cause of building and defending the Nation of the Vietnamese people;
4. Participating in influencing public opinions to protect national interests, especially on the issues of democracy, human rights and national sovereignty; promoting Vietnam's international image. Participating in encouraging Vietnamese people abroad to be homeland-oriented and supportive of activities that enhance the friendly and cooperative relations between Vietnam and other countries in economy, culture, education, science, technology ...;
5. Participating in regional and international forums, mechanisms and global people’s activities for the nation-state’s interests and for peace, sustainable development, justice, democracy and social progress;
6. Working as the standing agency for the Committee for Foreign Non-governmental Organization Affairs and the focal agency for foreign non-governmental organization relations and mobilization of foreign non-governmental aid as prescribed by law;
7. Contributing comments on the formulation of legal documents related to people-to-people diplomacy; making proposals to state institutions with authority over issues related to the development and area of operation of the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations;
8. Conducting research and making recommendations on regional and international issues related to the area of operation of the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations and people-to-people diplomacy;
9. Guiding and assisting member organizations in activities of peace, solidarity, friendship, people's cooperation and mobilization and coordination of foreign non-governmental aid;
10. Organizing the training and enhancement of professional knowledge and skills, organizing other services as prescribed by law;
11. Managing and using the financial resources of the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations as prescribed by law;
12. Performing other duties assigned by the authorities as prescribed by law.